Fall is here and now is the time to start getting your home ready for winter. With temperatures falling and meteorologists predicting a colder than normal winter, the easiest and most cost efficient way to keep your home’s heat inside, while keeping your heating bill respectable, is to add fresh insulation to your attic, ceilings, basement, and walls. Craven Insurance offers these ideas for your review.
Prepare Your Home For Winter
Have an emergency kit ready; an emergency kit is simply a collection of basic items your household may need in the event of an emergency. Include the following: water, flash lights and batteries, first aid kit, whistles to signal for help, basic tools, manual can opener, small supply of food, radio, candles, lighter, blankets and rope.
- Insulate water pipes
- Call an HVAC professional to inspect your furnace and clean ducts
- Check your roof for leaks
- Turn off all outside water and sprinklers
- Clean wood stoves and chimneys
- Install window insulators
- Store summer tools and prep winter ones
- Replace cracked glass, if you end up replacing the window, you will need to prime and paint exposed wood
- Get a programmable thermostat
- Make sure you caulk or repair and replace any siding that is failing
- Seal cracks in windows, doors, foundations, and ducts
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors
- Clean gutters
- Add insulation where needed
- Check for leaks in gutters, windows and roofs
- Cut shrubs away from your home
Your house is more than just an investment, it’s a place where memories are made and dreams are built. Whether you’re a first time home owner or celebrating many happy years in your dream home, we can help.
At Craven Insurance we offer you the flexibility of shopping for and purchasing insurance on-line, over the phone or in person at one of our office locations. Whatever your choice you will be dealing with experienced licensed insurance agents that work for you, not for the insurance companies. And you can mix and match, get a quote on-line and then make a personal appointment with one of our agents to review your options.