As we continue our articles on a new way to think about the Whidbey Island personal insurance buying experience, we want to turn our attention to times when insurance may not be the right solution. Remember, we are more interested in helping our clients find the right insurance or risk solution.
We will be the first to say that certain types of Whidbey Island personal insurance may not always be best for your needs. We believe each client is unique and therefore requires unique insurance solutions. But there is more to the process.
First you and your agent need to talk about what your risks and goals are regarding the issues. Your agent should be able to help you identify all the risks and, only then, provide solutions.
Here is a good example
We recently had a client buy an older used car for one of their kids. After we reviewed the ACV value for the client, we recommended that he not purchase collision coverage. We told him to use the savings to put into an auto replacement fund. This will save the client hundreds of dollars over time.
Here are other kinds of Whidbey Island insurance you may not need
- Universal life – Typically term life insurance is going to be a better fit for you. Term life costs less, and you can take the premium difference and invest it yourself.
- Extended warranty plans – These are never a good idea. The warranty premiums are mostly commissions paid to the salesperson. Some credit card companies offer this protection if you make the purchase with their cards.
- Pet Insurance – Pet insurance usually is very limited in coverage and very costly.
- Insurance on outstanding credit card balances – This type of insurance can be costly, and there are a lot of loopholes to go through before any benefits are paid.
- Mini Storage Insurance – As long as you have homeowner’s or renters insurance you don’t need to buy special insurance. Most policies have automatic coverage for property away from your primary premises. Call us for details and limitations.
- Rental car collision insurance – If you already have collision insurance from your personal auto insurance, you don’t need to buy additional insurance from the rental company. However, opting for the additional coverage could be worth the price if you don’t have collision insurance. But if you’re charging the rental to your credit card, it’s also possible to get the coverage through them.
- Mortgage life insurance – This protects the bank, not you. If you were to die, the payout goes to the bank, not your family. You are better off buying term life insurance.
- Flight Insurance – This is completely unnecessary, as airline accidents are rare and your life insurance policy should already provide the coverage in the event of a catastrophe.
Craven Insurance is a family owned, locally operated independent insurance agent and broker. As an independent insurance agent, we are able to provide the best possible insurance products and prices from a number of different insurance companies. We love our local Washington state communities in Whidbey Island and Lake Stevens, but we’re happy to provide coverage for you no matter where you are