Home fire safety is a very important topic. Recently, we sat down and talked to retired fire fighter John Greg, to get his opinion on what homeowners can do to better protect their homes and their families.
There were over 370,000 fires and 3,000 deaths related to home fires in 2014, according to the National Fire Protection Association. . Homeowner’s insurance will most likely cover damage from a fire if you have the right coverage.
Home Fire Safety Tips From A Fire Fighter
- Inspect and clean your furnace every few months.
- Clean the drawer filter every week.
- Never use a barbeque inside.
- Do not use damaged or frayed electrical cords or extension cords.
- Always place candles in a glass jar.
- Make sure heating appliances are installed and used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Never heat your home with a gas kitchen range.
- Use UL approved smoke detectors and replace batteries at least yearly.
- Teach your kids about fire safety and the proper use of matches.
- Test smoke alarms once a month.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home and inside bedrooms.
- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that has no odor. CO gas is poisonous, it can make a person feel sick, and can be deadly. In the home, heating and cooking devices that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide. Install an approved CO detector in your home.
- Develop an emergency exit plan and an alternate exit plan. The most obvious way out of your home may be blocked by fire.
- Teach your family that in a fire they must stay low to the floor to avoid smoke and intense heat.
Craven Insurance is a family owned, locally operated independent insurance agent and broker. As an independent insurance agent, we are able to provide the best possible insurance products and prices from a number of different insurance companies. We love our local Washington state communities in Whidbey Island and Lake Stevens, but we’re happy to provide coverage for you no matter where you are!