Personal Insurance and Safety Update
Summer vacation is over and a new school year has started. We will soon start to see the signs of back to school time, including more school busses on the road, and back to school displays in the stores. Now is the time to start thinking about keeping your child safe. This is particularly true for kids going to school for the first time, or going to a new school.
- Make sure your children know their home phone number, address, how to get in touch with their parents at work, how to get in touch with another trusted adult, and how to dial 9-1-1.
- Remind your child not to walk, run, or ride his bicycle down railroad tracks. It’s illegal and dangerous.
- Teach children not to talk to strangers or accept rides from someone they don’t know.
- If your children walk to school, complete the walk a few times with them.
- Make sure that your teen driver understands and obeys all traffic laws.
- Bright colored clothing will make your child more visible to drivers.
- Bike riders should always wear a helmet.
- Children should always board and exit the bus at designated locations that provide safe access to the bus or to the school building.
Are You Driving In A School Zone?
- In a school zone when flashers are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Obey school zone speed limits.
- Watch for kids crossing the streets.
- Never text and drive.
- Never pass a vehicle stopped for pedestrians
- Follow all laws pertaining to school buses.
Sources; American Red Cross, D.A.R.E. and National Safety Council
Craven Insurance is a family owned, locally operated independent insurance agent and broker. As an independent insurance agent, we are able to provide the best possible insurance products and prices from a number of different insurance companies. We love our local Washington state communities in Whidbey Island and Lake Stevens, but we’re happy to provide coverage for you no matter where you are.