A Whidbey Island personal insurance update
In some parts of the region, the rain and snow have stopped–and we can even see blue sky. This means that it is time to get out and start preparing our homes for spring and summer risks. There are many things you can do to protect your home. Furthermore, if your home is properly maintained, you have less chance of having a home insurance claim.
Whidbey Island Home insurance risks
- Make sure your roof has been cleaned. If moss is present it is a good idea to get it removed.
- Clean your gutters.
- Check your washing machine hoses for cracks, and replace if necessary.
- Regularly check your dryer filter and clean it.
- Have a professional check your septic system.
- Clean decks, driveways, fences and other outside surfaces.
- Check your decks, railings and other exterior portions of your home for wood damage.
- Daylight savings time is the perfect time to change the batteries in your smoke detectors.
- Clean or replace your HVAC filters.
- Check your fire extinguisher including the hose, nozzle, and other parts, at least once yearly to make sure they are in good condition. Confirm that the pressure gauge is in the “green” range.
- Trim back any branches that are too close to your home or that hang too low.
- Check seals around windows and doors.
Keeping your home maintained is the best way to keep your homeowner’s insurance rates as low as possible. Craven Insurance is a family owned, locally operated independent insurance agent and broker. As an independent insurance agent, we are able to provide the best possible insurance products and prices from a number of different insurance companies. We love our local Washington state communities in Whidbey Island and Lake Stevens, but we’re happy to provide coverage for you no matter where you are!