Are Rideshare Drivers Covered By Their Auto Insurance?
If you drive your personally owned auto for Uber, Lyft, or even a pizza delivery company, your personal auto insurance will not provide the coverage you need, should you be involved in an accident. Uber and Lyft are "rideshare" services that compete with taxis and more traditional car transport services. These companies do not own or operate their cars and do not hire their drivers directly. Drivers are independent contractors who drive their own vehicles to pick up and drop off customers. Here are two big coverage gaps:
· Your personal auto insurance policy excludes liability for hauling others for a fee.
· These rideshare companies also require liability limits above the state minimums.
There are a number of insurance companies now offering specific auto insurance coverage for ridesharing risks.
Here are a few tips for rideshare drivers.
· Purchase a separate policy with at least a $1,000,000 limit.
· Read any, and all, agreements so you know what your responsibilities are.
· Keep your vehicle in good working condition.
Our dedicated staff of insurance professionals are here to assist to protect you and your loved ones for years to come. With a vast knowledge of our many carriers, we are equipped to shop for the best policy to suit your needs. Our job is to help you navigate through the sea of policy options and clarify any questions or concerns you may have along the way. We’ve successfully served hundreds of customers and are determined to treat each individual with respect and compassion. Shopping for insurance can be difficult, but our staff does the work for you. Maintain your peace of mind knowing that our insurance professionals have your back.