Can You Live Without Disaster Insurance?
Human caused disasters and natural disasters occur in every state. California has earthquakes and wild fires, Washington has flooding and wildfires, the Northeast has winter storms and high winds, Florida has flooding and hurricanes, and the Midwest has flooding and tornados.
Insurance And Disasters
It is safe to say that most business and homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover the risks associated with disasters. The only exception would be damage caused by wildfires. Let’s look at how insurance might apply to other disasters.
1. Floods-- Only 13% of U.S. homeowners had flood-insurance policies last year according to the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group. Flood insurance must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you if you need the coverage.
2. Earthquake-- While earthquakes occur mainly in certain areas, there are registered earthquakes in every state, every year. Earthquake insurance also must be added or purchased under a separate policy.
3. Tornadoes-- Damage from tornadoes typically is covered, since it usually is considered wind damage.
4. Mudslides-- A standard home insurance policy does not protect your home against damage caused by a mudslide. Mudslides are usually defined as ground movement. Heavy rains that cause a mudflow would typically be covered.
5. Heavy Snow and Winter Storms-- Winter storms and snow damage is covered under a typical homeowner’s policy. If flooding occurs, then the flood damage would be covered.
6. Hail-- Most homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hail.
7. Wildfires-- It can be safe to say that all homeowner’s insurance covers loss resulting from a fire. Wildfires are considered a fire and would be covered.
Coverage disclaimer--the information provided here is for general purposes only. It is not our intent to change or modify insurance coverage. Each insurance policy is different and your individual coverage will be determined by the terms of your insurance policy.
Our dedicated staff of insurance professionals are here to assist to protect you and your loved ones for years to come. With a vast knowledge of our many carriers, we are equipped to shop for the best policy to suit your needs. Our job is to help you navigate through the sea of policy options and clarify any questions or concerns you may have along the way. We’ve successfully served hundreds of customers and are determined to treat each individual with respect and compassion. Shopping for insurance can be difficult, but our staff does the work for you. Maintain your peace of mind knowing that our insurance professionals have your back.