It's the Holiday season, which means many people will be traveling to see family and friends. Regrettably, not everyone is in a good mood at this time of year. There are Grinch’s out there who are well aware that many homes are vacant over the holidays and will scour neighborhoods for telltale indicators of a property that has been abandoned for a few days.
So, to assist you avoid becoming another crime statistic, we've compiled a list of ideas for securing your property while you're away.
Shopping Safety Tips
· Always be aware of your surroundings.
· Put your shopping bags in your trunk.
· NEVER leave car doors unlocked or windows open.
· ALWAYS park in lighted areas. Do NOT park in remote areas.
· Shop with a friend.
· Keep receipts in your wallet or purse.
· Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
· As you return to your car, make sure to keep your car key in your hand.
· If you make expensive purchases like jewelry or guns, call our office as we may need to add these to your policy.
Christmas Tree Safety (provided by the NFPA)
· Make sure the tree is at least four feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
· Make sure the tree is not blocking any exit or door.
· Add water to the tree stand daily.
· Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
· Only used approved lights.
· Connect no more than three strands of mini string sets and a maximum of 50 bulbs for screw-in bulbs
· Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections.
Home Safety Tips
If you are planning to vacation during the holiday, here are few ideas to consider:
· Get a security system.
· Trim landscaping that is too close to your house.
· Don’t advertise your vacation on social media.
· Cancel mail and other deliveries.
· Leave lights on when gone.
· Have a neighbor check on your home.
· Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
· Use a variable light timer to activate lights inside your home.
· Lock all doors and windows.
· If you gone, arrange for your lawn to be mowed.
· Have adequate exterior lighting.