Shopping Safety As We Move Into The Holiday Season
Black Friday is coming and that means we are in the middle of the Holiday Season. During the next 45 days, we will all be busy shopping, eating out and traveling. Crime rates tend to have a slight up-swing as spending is increased. This is due, in part, to shoppers carrying more cash and credit cards with them while shopping, shopping later than usual, and the relaxed, easy-going attitude that comes with this time of year.
40% of those who shop online don't check to see if a website is secure before entering.
· Watch for fake deals and fake websites; only purchase from known sites and retailors.
· Use credit cards rather than debit cards. As a consumer, you have protection guaranteed by U.S. Federal law when you swipe a credit card.
· Write “check photo ID” in ink on the back of your credit card near your signature.
· When shopping, only take the cards you plan on using.
· Temporary workers can put consumers at a greater risk of identity theft because not all temporary employment agencies conduct background checks.
· If you must use an ATM, choose one that is located inside the mall, or a well-lighted location. Withdraw only the amount of cash you need.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Lock your shopping bags in your trunk.
- Never allow children to make unaccompanied trips to the restroom.
- Never leave car doors unlocked or windows open.
- Always park in lighted areas. Do NOT park in remote areas.
- Shop with a friend.
- Teach your child to go to a store clerk and ask for help in case your child is separated from you.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Keep receipts in your wallet or purse.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- As you return to your car, make sure to keep your car key in your hand.
If you make expensive purchases like jewelry or guns, call our office as we may need to add these to your insurance policy. Craven Insurance is a family owned, locally operated independent insurance agent and broker. As an independent insurance agent, we are able to provide the best possible insurance products and prices from a number of different insurance companies. We love our local Washington state communities in Whidbey Island and Lake Stevens, but we’re happy to provide coverage for you no matter where you are